Consider when the lease ends and new move in date
- Do you require storage? Ask landlords about storage
- Would you prefer to move in early? Ask landlord
- Ask landlord about adjusting unit – Paint, Windows, removing doors, etc.
If property manager is collecting a deposit, a copy of the condition of the unit is required to be provided at lease signing
Move in – Use a check in sheet to document the condition of the unit as you move in. Sign and date it, get a copy
- Take pictures of the condition before you move in
- Get renters insurance to cover your belongings. Landlords only insure building.
- Report needed repairs. Send it in writing if a phone call does not initiate the repairs.