Skip to main content

Cougar Choice Housing

Renter's Insurance

When you rent a house or apartment, it is wise to and inexpensive insure your personal belongings. Most people are not covered by their landlord's insurance so it is in your best interest to invest in your own.

If your parents claim you as a dependent, first check to see if you might be covered under their policy. Usually, students are covered up to ten percent of their parents' insurance. Even if you are paying in-state tuition and your parents live out-of-state, you may still qualify on your parents' policy, so check with your family's agent first.

New Option for WSU Students, Staff, and Faculty

Recently, WSU Housing Services partnered with Haylor, Freyer, & Coon, Inc. to offer renter’s insurance. While you may be covered under your parent’s homeowner’s insurance, claims against homeowner’s insurance can be expensive, especially compared to renter’s insurance. Renter’s insurance will cover your belongings if they are accidentally damaged, stolen, vandalized or suffer a loss from water, fire, smoke, etc. If a loss occurs, WSU is not responsible. We strongly encourage you to purchase renter’s insurance as unfortunate situations can and do happen. Here are some common situations that can occur: 

  1. Water damage from sprinklers going off 
  2. Fire, smoke, explosion, windstorm 
  3. Theft 
  4. Accidental damage 
  5. Vandalism 

To purchase renter’s insurance, please visit You can also reach our broker that handles this plan (Haylor, Freyer, & Coon, Inc) at 866-535-0456 or and they’d be happy to answer any questions that you have and help you enroll.

This option is open to any currently enrolled students, as well as University staff/faculty. See the brochure in the right sidebar for more information including rates and coverages.

Renter's Insurance Policies Typically Cover:

  • Direct loss to personal property.
  • Additional living expense and liability claims.
  • The limit for additional living expense is usually 20% of the coverage. Personal or comprehensive liability covers premises and medical payments depending upon policy limits.

Who Should Have It?

Anyone who rents and is not covered by a parent's policy. Under most circumstances the landlord's policy will not pay for losses to tenants' personal property or damages caused by the tenant. Property losses are usually unexpected. Insurance is a means of protection in case such losses should occur.

What is Normally Covered?

Fire, lightning, windstorm, hail, explosion, vehicles, sudden or accidental damage from smoke, and theft. But discuss the specifics with your insurance agent to understand your own policy.

How Do I Know What Policy is Best For Me?

It is highly recommended to take a household inventory to determine the amount of coverage needed. Most insurance companies have household inventory sheets available to aid in calculating how much coverage is needed.

How to File a Claim:

To make a claim for a theft, contact your insurance company for forms and instruction. This must be accompanied by a police report. It is also a good idea to have a list of items stolen or pictures of belongings.